Kosair Children’s Hospital Gynecology Specialists
Children and adolescents aren’t just little adults and that’s true regarding virtually every aspect of medical care. Kosair Children’s Hospital Gynecology Specialists provides gynecological care for girls and teens using specially designed techniques and instruments for this age group. Our team understands the variations of normal pre-puberty anatomy and physiology, and how to communicate with children, teens and parents on sensitive topics.
Our staff includes three licensed pediatric and adolescent gynecologists and a nurse practitioner who treat conditions of the reproductive tract that affect girls from birth to young adulthood (ages 0 through 24). Our team has been providing comprehensive pediatric/adolescent gynecology services to our community for more than 20 years.
Conditions we treat
- Pediatric vulvovaginitis
- Ovarian masses, cysts and tumors
- Pubertal aberration
- Ambiguous genitalia
- Menstrual disorders in teenagers, including heavy or prolonged bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Vaginal agenesis (surgical/nonsurgical creation of neovagina)
- Care after sexual abuse
- Preventive gynecologic care (the American College of OB/GYN recommends a gynecologic preventive health visit for every teenage girl between the ages of 13 and 15)
- Gynecological care for patients with special needs
- Hormonal regulation of menses
- Laparoscopic diagnosis/management of endometriosis
- Treatment for vaginal agenesis (failure of the vagina to develop or grow) or other reproductive tract anomalies
- Laparoscopic management of ovarian cysts (neonate to adolescence)
Special services, equipment and capabilities
- Full scope of gynecologic surgeries to treat conditions girls and young women up to age 24
- Pediatric adolescent gynecology training program
Well girl visit (initial reproductive health visit)
We encourage young teens to have their first visit with us or a gynecology provider between the ages of 13 and 15. The visit often does not entail a pelvic exam, unless there are strong reasons to indicate one is necessary.
The goal of the visit is for health promotion, education and screening. It is an opportunity for teens to establish a relationship with their gynecologist, evaluate their current health (patterns and regularity of periods, cramping, etc.), receive information and resources for staying healthy and developing healthy habits.
To schedule an appointment or for more information on our Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology services, contact:
Kosair Children's Hospital Gynecology Specialists
210 E. Gray Street, Suite 600
Louisville, KY 40202